Volkswagen Golf Variant Mk7
|Production :|| 2012â€“Present (EU) |
|Model years:|| 2013â€“Present (EU) |
|Assembly:|| Zwickau, Germany |
Body and chassis
|Class :|| compact car |
small family car
|Body style :||5-door station wagon|
|Layout:|| Front-engine, |
four-wheel-drive (Golf R)
|Platform :||Volkswagen Group MQB|
|Related:|| Audi A3 Mk3 |
SEAT LeÃ³n Mk3
Å koda Octavia Mk3
|Engine:|| 1.0 L I3 t/c petrol |
1.2 L I4 t/c petrol
1.4 L I4 t/c petrol
1.6 L I4 petrol
1.8 L I4 t/c petrol
2.0 L I4 t/c petrol
1.6 L I4 t/c diesel
2.0 L I4 t/c diesel
|Transmission:|| 5-speed manual |
|Wheelbase:||2,637 mm (103.8 in)|
|Length :||4,255 mm (167.5 in)|
|Width :||1,799 mm (70.8 in)|
|Height:||1,452 mm (57.2 in)|
|Kerb weight:|| 1,205 kg (2,657 lb) - |
1,395 kg (3,075 lb)
|Predecessor :||Volkswagen Golf Variant Mk6|
The Volkswagen Golf Variant Mk7 (also known as the Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen in the United States and Sportwagon in Canada) is the station wagon version of the seventh generation of the Volkswagen Golf. It is the successor of the Volkswagen Golf Variant Mk6 and the Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen (for North America) . In the United Kingdom is sold under the Golf Estate designation.
The Golf Variant Mk7 uses the same MQB platform as the third-generation Audi A3, SEAT LeÃ³n and Å koda Octavia and its available in tree trim levels : Trendline, Comfortline, Highline (in Europe and Canada), or S, SE or SEL (in USA).
Table of contents
The Golf Variant uses the MQB platform just like its sibling the Volkswagen Golf Mk7 hatchback, the two cars share the same wheelbase. The new production techniques offered by this platform allows the new Golf Variant to be 105 kg lighter then the mark 6 Variant and also provides a whole new range of safety, comfort and convenience technologies.
Volkswagen introduced for the first time a â€˜fullâ€™ BlueMotion model of the Golf Variant. This comes with revised aerodynamics and other modifications together with a 1.6-litre diesel engine producing 110 PS, has a six-speed manual gearbox. This version is expected to achieve a combined fuel consumption of 85.6 mpg (equivalent to 87 g/km of CO2).
The new Golf Variant is more generous in cabin space, rear legroom and boot space. It also features greater shoulder room for the front and rear passengers. The loadspace volum of the Variant was increased from 505 litres to 605 litres. This is almost double compared to the 380 litres of the Golf hatchback. With the rear seats folded the cargo space of the Golf Variant / Estate / Sportwagen is increased to 1620 litres (up from 1495 litres of the Volkswagen Golf Variant Mk6. A new comfort feature introduced is the possibility to fold the rear seats using a release handle located in the boot.
- Proactive Occupant Protection - this is a new safety feature which will take actions if the potential for a forward crash is detected. The system will close windows and retract the safety belts in order to remove excess slack. This new feature is introduced for the first time on series production Volkswagens.
- Multi Collision Brake - this is also introduced for the first time on series production Volkswagens, this system will automatically brake the car after an accident to prevent a second collision.
- Adaptive Cruise Control - optional feature which will keep the vehicle cruising but also adjust the vehicle speed to maintain a safe distance from the vehicles ahead.
- Driver fatigue detection - optional feature
- Front Assist collision avoidance system with City Emergency Braking - an optional feature
- Traffic sign recognition - optional feature, available only in certain markets
- Lane keeping assistant - optional feature
- Automatic parking system - optional feature
The new Golf Variant is offered with a wide range of engines. There are four gasoline and three diesel engines available. The power output also ranges from 85-140PS for the gasoline version and 90-150PS for the diesel engines.
- 2014 What car - Best Estate Car
MkVII Golf R hatchback.
Alltrack. This comes with slightly raised suspension and body cladding and also four wheel drive.
The Volkswagen Golf Variant Mk7 is currently assembled in the following plants of the Volkswagen Group:
Volkswagen Golf Mk7
ReferencesGolf 7 at Wikipedia
Go to: Car Station